Wow!! We are already half way through 2016. To think, just 6 months ago, many of us made New Year’s Resolutions, committing ourselves to some sort of improvement in our lives. Fast-forward to the present. Where do you stand with your goal or resolution? Were you able to stick with it? If so, I congratulate you on your dedication and persistence. On the flip side, however, is the cold reality that many of us have abandoned our resolutions. And know what? That’s ok.…….you are still on the path to accomplishing your goal! I want to encourage you to regroup and refocus. Remember, success is a process and not an event. In many cases, the process involves some stumbles, whether it is failure or losing focus. If you slipped up, the past is the past; it is what it is. Learn from it and apply it to the future. You can get back on track. It’s all good.
You are instructed to travel to New York City from your present location. What different modes of transportation can you use to get there? You could fly by airplane, drive a car, or ride a train or bus. You may use a combination of those forms of transportation. The amount of time and directions will likely be different for each form of transportation, yet, the bottom line is you can get to NYC.
This same principle applies to our lives. We all share the same destination: a desire to have success at something. It may be related to family, finances, relationships, etc. Even though we share the same destination (success), the path to reach that destination may be filled with delays, detours, and construction when compared to others who are traveling to the same destination. The great thing is, despite those obstacles, we can all reach the same destination. You have what you need to get there!
The path to greatness seems to be a steep and, sometimes, lonely climb. Lately, I have been observing people who are successful in their fields; they have some traits in common. They seem to have 3 simple keys to greatness:
- Know your purpose or what you want. Contrary to what’s popular in society, discovering your true purpose can take years of soul searching. That’s ok. Trial and error will likely bring you to your purpose. What you want can change, but you need to have an idea of where you’re headed
- Tune out distractions. I hate to break the news to you, but there will be things that will happen along the way which will take you off your game. Some will be major, some will be minor. You may have to modify your plans. You also have tune out yourself. Sometimes we have negative thoughts or self-talk based on our experiences. We have to learn to counter these thoughts with positive affirmations.
- Continue to improve. Always look to sharpen or develop new skills. Read up on your goal or craft.
The keys to greatness are simple to remember, but take a lot of time and effort. Remember, success is a process, not an event!
Success is a process, not an event. Here are 5 steps to help us achieve success:
- Make a commitment to yourself. It has to become a part of you. You can:
- Write your goal down.
- Make a poster or screensaver of the goal.
- Set a daily reminder on your phone of your goal.
- A support system of like-minded, POSITIVE people (see Iron Sharpens Iron).
- Focus on behaviors that support your goal, not the actual goal itself. Behaviors that support the goal will lead to fulfilling the goal.
- Be flexible. The timing and tools you have may not be ideal, but they are usually enough to get you moving in the right direction.
- Be resilient. Distractions and disappointments will come. Take time to reflect upon them, but do not dwell on them. Get back on track!