The challenge of timing. If you are waiting for the perfect time to start your goal, it probably will never happen. Don’t get me wrong, timing is important; but finding the perfect time is rare. There is always going to be a challenge whenever you start; it is likely the reason you have the goal in the first place! The key is to get started and make progress. Starting off with a bang is not as important as making consistent progress. As you make progress, you can always add to what you are doing to reach your goal. Stay encouraged and don’t give up! You may need to put your goal or dream on pause, but you don’t have to abandon it. One thing I know for sure: if you quit, you definitely won’t reach your goal. You’re on the clock!
The college admissions process can be challenging, especially with so much riding on entrance exams. Click here to view schools which do not require entrance exams.
I once heard someone say to be exceptional you must be the exception. Being exceptional means being a success. We know success is a process, not an event. To be exceptional, you must:
- Have a positive attitude. You must believe in what you are doing. You must have a can-do attitude. The glass is half full, not half empty. Being positive doesn’t mean you are unaware of challenges or that bad things won’t happen to you. You will have setbacks. Exceptional people don’t dwell on their setbacks or do much complaining.
- Find your talent/passion. Unfortunately, talents in our culture seem to be connected to athletics or entertainment. There are many talents outside of those areas, such as leading, educating, and trade skills, to name a few. The majority of talents/passions take time to discover and develop; we may not have a clue what our talent is until we are far into adulthood.
- Be different. The majority of people will not understand what you do and why you do it. People will have doubts; that’s ok. You need like-minded people who can offer insight and support.
- Work hard. See numbers 2 & 3. You will put in the work if you are passionate about what you want.
- Faith. Believe in your higher power & yourself.
I am shooting to be exceptional by embracing these qualities; I hope you are shooting to be exceptional. Please feel free to comment with suggestions or recommendations on how to be exceptional. Thanks for reading.
I recently had an opportunity to speak to the Y Achievers at the Walzem YMCA in San Antonio, TX. I spoke on how academics and athletics can complement each other & can help you be the best you can be. We discuss the realities of athletics compared to the value of academics. The kids were awesome! Click here to view.
We are all aware of the ease of making a goal compared to the challenge of actually sticking with it. Our goals should focus more on our process or progress toward a goal as opposed to the goal itself. Notice that I say progress. Progress indicates positive, consistent actions toward an expectation or goal. We have a much greater likelihood of sticking with our goals if we are focused more on the consistent actions to reach a goal. Consistency in our actions leads to growing confidence, which strengthens our resolve in progressing toward our goals. To be successful, we must consistently make progress. Success doesn’t happen overnight; it takes time. Achieving success is a process and not an event!